Thursday, March 15, 2012

Don't Tell My Mother that I'm a Motorcyle Mamma!

When I lived in Tucson about a million years ago, I earned many passenger miles on a Honda 305, nicknamed Moby, since it was white and weighed a ton.  I toted up about 1/4 mile as moto operator, the first time found me and Moby in a ditch on Mt. Lemmon.  The second time I had the courage to rev it up to second gear as I toddled around the block in sheer terror.  Neither was what I might term a major success. 

Now that I'm out here in my later years, I decided to go about this learning-to-ride-a-motorcycle in a more systematic way, as befitting a retired college professor:  I signed up for a short course offered at Pima Community College and taught by an instructor certified by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.


My charger awaits me!

Our intrepid instructor, who's logged over 100,000 miles on two wheels with a big engine in between.
Goo
One of my fellow students, who looks about the age I was when I was out here a million years ago.
She, her friend, and I were the only students, a student/teacher ratio which I definitely appreciated.  And, they appeared with proper gear, including helmets, gloves, and leather jackets.  Their husbands both own motorcycles.


 And then there's moi:  borrowed helmet, borrowed gloves, no leathers...though it was much too warm for leathers.  I soon discarded my vest.  Our instructor was adamant that before we even mounted the motorcycle that we be wearing our gear:  long sleeves, gloves, helmet, and eye protection, either a visor or glasses.  Since we were not leaving the safe (relatively) confines of the ring, sun glasses were OK.




Proper gear on.  Bike locked.  Stand down.  Mount up.

Good form in the mount up.  Wheel turned properly.


Note Mountain Rose shirt. What the well-dressed motorcyclist is wearing today.
A confession:  We never went higher than first gear, riding in circles around the training ring.  For those few motorcycle novices out there, most motos have gears....and a clutch....and two brakes.  While the concept of clutching, gearing, and braking is similar to that of a manual transmission automotobile, the clutch is at the left hand, one brake at the right, and the accelerator is on the right handlebar.  The gearshift is at the left toe.  What we do in a car with our feet, we do on a moto with our hands.  I had to practice a new system, to habituate my brain to a different way of doing things.  It was great fun, but also tiring, so riding in circles in first gear, practicing shifting to first, going a short way, slowing down, and braking was actually sufficient unto the day.

Attesting to successful completion of my "Motorcycle Experience."

And now I'm ready for.....NOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment