Sunday, November 20, 2016

A one photo blog post....with lotsa text!

Looks a bit pitiful, doesn't it.  A baby stroller, a blanket over what appears to be a body.  What might it be?  Some of you may be able to guess.  Here's some clues.

Casa Grande National Monument (https://www.nps.gov/cagr/index.htm), about an hour and a half from here, was having a native arts/crafts festival.  I decided to go, and Amber, a Tonto archaeologist went with me.  At least a 3 hour round trip, plus time to peruse the festival....  Got it, now??

Yes, the canines.  And why are they so concealed?  I had intended to leave them in the car, with the A/C running, as they were specifically not invited to the festival.  However, when we arrived, we learned that there was no parking at the Monument.  Rather, parking was available at a nearby strip mall, and shuttles would take us to the Monument.  Hmmmm.  Plan B.  Another Tonto volunteer loaned me the stroller, which she uses for her dogs.  I poured Tobey into one Sherpa bag, and Abbey into another; unfortunately, they will not share. Actually, I didn't have to force them in; they go voluntarily, quite eagerly, in fact.  Then I stacked them in the stroller, pulled down the sun bonnet part, covered the whole thing with a blanket. 

However!!!   When one of the shuttle overseers saw the stroller, she assumed....baby....and told me that when I got on, the driver would latch down the stroller.  Amber was looking a tad askance, for which I cannot blame her.  I told her to ignore me, drop back, and don't sit next to me.  I might need her to post bail..  I'd decided that in for a penny in for a pound or some such equally nonsensical adage.  I'd go for it!  The overseer pulled me out of line and put me on first.  Amber wisely hung back.  After the little bus was full, the driver latched the stroller front wheels onto the floor....and off we went.  The canines cooperated beautifully.  Not a peep out of either one.  I participated in a very pleasant discussion with my seatmate, a Viet Nam vet, until we arrived after a very short drive.  I was the last one off.

For the next hour and a half, I strolled around, looking at each stall, buying a few things, the dogs not making a sound.  At one point, an employee of the Monument asked me if there was something in the stroller.  I replied, "Yes, there is something."  and swept on by.  It finally occurred to me that if anyone thought any thing at all, they assumed I was the grandmother and Amber was my daughter, and I was just strolling the grandbaby.

Upon our return to the car, I decided not to push my luck and we walked back. It was about half a mile, slightly uphill, with a headwind.  Still not a peep from the canines.

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it!









No comments:

Post a Comment