Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Tucumcari and Route 66


 Perhaps this photo exemplifies the lure of Tucumcari, Route 66, and RV travel for me.  I want to be Betty Boop....tee hee!  And this little RV is about the size for me and the canines.  Speaking of canines, here they are in the Sun and Sand Restaurant  (https://www.facebook.com/SunSandRestaurant), just down Rte. 66 from Betty's abode.


One per carrying case, otherwise they fight, really, really fight.  I didn't try to conceal the cases as I entered the Sun and Sand, not that I could have, but neither staff nor customers cared that I was probably violating health codes....unlike another place east of the Mississippi which had evicted me because some customer had complained.  The staff was sympathetic; they'd rather have evicted the complainer and let me stay.   New Mexico seems to be a bit more mellow than Mississippi......just saying.

While I would occasionally catch a glimpse of Marty Milner and George Maharis driving insouciantly in their dashing Corvette, it was just out of the corner of my eye, and I never did catch up with them.  I did see a number of places they might have stayed, including

this wonderful, now delapidated, closed old motel. I'd much rather stay here than in a cookie cooker Days Inn or Ramada.  Of course, I do stay in KOAs..... 

And as with folks everywhere, Tucumcarians are not reluctant to provide evidence of their political proclivities.


Not mine of course, but clever nonetheless.  Now I'm off to Albuquerque!

2 comments:

  1. I can hear Marty and George's theme song in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the fun read! As you know, I lived in Flagstaff for four years (1967-71), and Route 66 was the main road at the time. The city fathers were resisting the encroachment of chain retailers, so there were no McDonald's/KFCs/K-Marts back then. Ed Hylton worked as night clerk at the Weatherford Hotel, which was downtown in the railway district. I used to visit him there on Friday evenings, and we'd order scrumptious burgers and fries from the Chinese restaurant next door ;-) I see that the Weatherford has undergone some sprucing up since then, but it's still there.

    Your post also reminded me of traveling through the desert at night (when it wasn't so hot) with my parents. My dad would put a twin mattress in the back seat, and Tracy and I would sleep back there--no seat belts, just rolling around and loving it. I still like to travel at night or in the early morning when the only light is coming from the dashboard. Back then, there was the glow of my parents' cigarettes, as well.

    Good memories.

    ReplyDelete