Friday, November 25, 2011

Log Buying

This is my second trip over to Turman Log Homes.  I'd first gone many moons ago with Ron, who'd heard of it from someone via someone else at a Lutheran conference he attended over in Wytheville.  I hadn't found it during my online search; poor search skills, I guess.   That first trip was to reconnoiter; this trip was for serious decision making.   And I was flying solo, no Ron to hold my hand and tell me to breathe.


Makes it easy to find the turnoff.

Guess they framed the front so potential customers would have an idea of their handiwork.  I like it. 


My salesfeline, a sweet little kitty, who's adopted the building and its staff, who feed their top sales critter.

OK, this is Steve, the real sales person, who is very nice and very, very patient with me, though he would not allow me to cuddle him as I did the kitty.


Except for the offices, it's a great big  concrete space.


Once I've finally made up my mind about my house plan, they can begin on the logs.  They cut the trees, strip the bark, kiln dry them, and then bring them over to cut to my plan.

Behind the fan, inside the protected area, is the saw that does the actual cutting.

Another staged photo.  This young man is a salesperson for the raw timber division of Turman.  He's on his way to India for a month on a marketing trip.  They want to sell our wonderful white pine, which makes me sad, tree hugger that I am.  On the other hand, it's business.  A dilemma.

He's sitting at the computer which controls the saw which cuts the logs.



A shot of the cutting and storage area. 

What my corners and logs will look like.  They are 6 inch D logs:  flat on the inside, round on the outside.  They have to be stained with a mixture that includes color and bug juice; the latter is juice to deter bugs.

I selected my plan, got some rough estimates, and drove away in a daze, while considering the changes I was going to make.   From the plan link, click on The Franklin.







No comments:

Post a Comment