Friday, November 25, 2011

Tazewell

Tazewell is the center of the Leslie universe, although there is now only one person who still bears the Leslie name who is a descendent of the Tazewell Leslies.  I visit occasionally, and am always enriched by Lou's warmth and generosity and wealth of good conversation.  Lou loves to drive around Tazewell County, where she has lived her entire life, with a few years elsewhere for college.  And Tazewell County is breath-takingly beautiful.  On this rather gray fall day, we meandered around for several hours...


This plain Victorian is the Leslie homeplace, where my Grandmother Pearce and her siblings were born and brought up, while her father owned, published, and edited the local newspaper.  It stayed in the family until the death of Nancy, the last sibling who lived there, into her later years.  A few years ago, the paint was spiffy, but as with much of Tazewell, it has seen better days.


I delighted when we ran into these sheep, on a paved road.  They stymied our forward travel for quite some time, but we weren't in any hurry.




 We did get them turned around and headed back to the pasture from which they'd escaped,  sheep baa'ing and humans smiling all the while.  





































I had not yet been to Turman's; I was going the next day from Lou's.  These logs in an old barn remind me of the heritage of which my new home is a part.

Lou's home, where she was born.  It is wonderfully comfortable, because Lou is there. 


On the way out of the area.  Even after looking at the web site, I have no idea what it means.  Is it for "primitive youth" or is it a primitive place?  Beats me.

No comments:

Post a Comment