Sunday, June 2, 2013

Heading Out

Dumping the canines with my ever-patient mother, I headed to Atlanta where cousins John, Kathy, and son Alexander wined and dined me.  After a good night's sleep, John drove me to the new international terminal in Atlanta where I hopped aboard.



Notice the smile, the lightness, the looking-forward-to-the-eight-hour-flight-to-Amsterdam foolish look?  Silly me.

Arrival in Amsterdam.  After the eight hour flight, I certainly needed first aid, a lounge, a spa, a comfort seat, and meditation (in a comfortable bed).  Anyone wish to guess which option I chose?  Yes, it was Door #3, the Airport Spa, where I had a massage delivered by Olga who trained at the prison guard school of massage; I think I still have bruises.  I dragged myself through a long amoeba semblance of a line for customs or immigration or some such nonsense, where I was asked the question that all such officials asked me "Are you traveling alone?" as if a woman of my age must certainly have a young companion to keep me from wandering astray....  Although I do acknowledge that after a 4 hour layover in Amsterdam and a 3 hour flight to Helsinki, I felt like....

Granted, this isn't me, but it's how I felt.  Unfortunately, even from my earliest ventures across different time zones, when I was youthful, energetic, jet lag has bested me.  This trip was no different.






No comments:

Post a Comment