Friday, June 7, 2013

More Helsinki

The whole of Finland is about the size of the legal population of St. Petersburg, Russia, about 5 million folks.  Helsinki has about 600,000 of those folks.  Finns are considered reticent, but everyone with whom I interacted was most gracious.  I always (well almost always) ask before taking a photo of a human being.

Ok, After just saying that I asked photo permission, I confess that I did not ask this woman.  She just looked so relaxed and immersed in her book, that I did not want to disturb her.  She, as with so many of her compatriots, was out enjoying the beautiful weather, the newly green grass, the smiling flowers.....It was quite pleasant, indeed.

I have no idea if this building is historical; I'm just partial to austerely lovely brick buildings.....

With golden turrets....

If you look at a map of Helsinki (to which I have very helpfully provided a link), you'll see that the city is surrounded by the waters of the Gulf of Finland.  And in what I consider an amazing stroke of luck, I was within walking distance of that lovely water.

Me attempting to be artsy, with the corner of the red brick building and the old-fashioned sailing vessel. 

So many wonderful old buildings that had been restored/repurposed.

On the terrace of the Uspenski Cathedral.  It was too beautiful a day to go inside, so I continued walking.

I love this juxtaposition of the old and new. The newer vessel goes to Tallinn, Estonia, a trip I would have liked to have taken. 

From the Cathedral down to an outdoor market, selling the most wonderfully-looking berries....and dried fish and four-legged critters.  I considered buying dried elk or moose or some such critter at the Duty-Free shop at the airport, but it was only legal to carry to EU countries; it was too expensive for me to be caught with, and I didn't want it badly enough to lie to Customs.  However, for vodka.....

What a nice day to be riding a bicycle.  And there are marked bicycle lanes, next to pedestrian paths.  So civilized!

About twice the size of Tobey, a rat terrier, I'm guessing.  And yes, this time I did ask permission.

Completely uninterested in anything but being outside.  Given the amount of snow, I'm relieved to be here at this lovely time of year....And I can understand why Fido is loving the grass!

Barnacle goose -- This population summers here and winters in Amsterdam.  It's so much easier since Finland went on the euro a decade ago.

I'm assuming these are lifeboats, as they are dotted around the edge of the water.

Young love...

Many play areas around the city...

I did not take binoculars, as I had some concern that they might land me accommodations next to Pussy Riot....  Therefore, my birdwatching was minimalist, but I couldn't resist this nest.

Permission asked, and she was delighted to let her dog be the star...

These smallish terriers seemed to be quite popular, although Helsinki folks have many, many dogs of all shapes and sizes.  And Helsinkians are good about picking up poop.

Vessel 1off to frolic in the bay...

Vessel 2 leaving for Stockholm...

Me enjoying Helsinki....

And the classical artsy photo of past and present....



No comments:

Post a Comment